Combining the past two weeks since it’s been so long since I’ve written! Great gaming has been had in the past two weeks, and a big highlight was playing games at our local board game shop during our anniversary celebration weekend.
- First time playing, 2P, 30 min game time
- Demoed this at our local board game shop as we’d heard raving reviews about it
- Did not disappoint, we ordered our own copy that day, since the shop was sold out
- We’ve played a few more times since then, and my favorite thing has got to be the component tokens. So high quality
- I expect this game to be present at many board game nights to come.
Council of Verona
- First time playing, 4P, 10 min game time
- Introduced this to a game night with some new friends.
- Quick microgame that has more strategy that Love Letter, which makes it quite enjoyable
- Will play it again, especially as it’s so easy to travel with
Ghosts Love Candy
- First time playing, 6P, 30 min game time
- On Kickstarter right now, cute and fun game
- The ghosts aren’t quite the theme I usually enjoy, but as it was more cartoony, it was fun
- Don’t hesitate to pick it up on Kickstarter if you’re interested!
Lewis and Clark
- First Time playing, 2P, 2 hour game
- This game was much heavier that I realized, and so far has giving me a splitting headache every time I play it
- Highly strategic and very unforgiving
- Becoming more fun over time as I play, but still not nearly as enjoyable as Terra Mystica
- Will play it again, if only just to understand it more.
Sentinels of the Multiverse
- 2 Player Games, 1 hour games
- Played twice this week and lost both times!
- Still enjoy Sentinels, and hope to play more in the future.
- Wanting to pick up more expansions, but waiting until we’ve beaten all the villains.
Edge of Empire RPG
- Played for the first time in a couple months
- As usual, it was very fun, everyone really getting into the theme and campaign
- Hoping to pick of the Age of Rebellion core book when it comes out
- Will start Age of Rebellion in the fall, after one of our gaming group goes off to college.
- First time playing with 5 players, 2.5 hours game play
- Wow, five player is intense! People getting blocked left and right
- Definitely harder to plan ahead and some factions (Giants or Nomads) have a distinct advantage with that many players
- Will stick to 2-4 players next time, 5P was a little too much.
This week was filled with new gaming which is always a big highlight. Went to my local board game shop and purchased Council of Verona and The Builders. Also borrowed Firefly from a friend and bought LOTR Fellowship Deck Builder at Barnes and Noble on major clearance. My favorite gaming highlights was trying out Firefly for the first time and playing a great game of Battlestar Galactica.
Firefly: The Board Game
- First time playing, 3 player, 3 hour game session
- Amazing theme, interesting mechanics, just brushed the surface of this game
- Perfect for fans of Firefly that want a deep and immersive game
- Hoping to play more soon!
The Builders: Middle Ages
- First time playing, 2 players, 15 min game session
- A good and short filler or gateway game.
- Lots of calculation which can be good for teaching math
- Very little player interaction, more of a solitaire game
- Will play again, next time with 4 players
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Deck Building Game
- First time playing, 2 players, 30 min game session
- Great theme, cool deck builder
- Pretty random due to ambushes along the path
- Less complex than Dominion
- Will play again with 4 players
- 3rd time playing, 4 players, 3 hour game session
- Wasn’t a cylon for the first time, but my husband was!
- Lost to the cylons but still a very fun game.
- Best part is accusing people of being a cylon.
7 Wonders w/Cities & Leaders Expansions
- 4 players, 45 min game session
- Played with the Leaders expansion for the first time in awhile
- Awesome as usual, we love having our cards sleeved
- Will play again and look forward to the Babel expansion coming out this year.
- 2 players, 1 hour game session
- Did Auren vs Chaos Magician so the cult track was very competitive
- Very different game as we did not build anywhere near each other
This week as a lighter gaming week as we’ve been busier in the evenings. However, we did get a game of Guillotine in during pizza night which was a great throwback to our childhood. So happy that my parents still own that game.
- First time playing in years, 5 player, 20 min game session
- Played on pizza night with my parents, sister, and husband
- We used to play this game as kids, so it was a great throwback
- Everyone laughs when the piss boy is out
- Will play again and hoping to get a review out for it soon
Friday: A Solo Adventure
- 10th time playing, 1 player, 20 min game session
- Been playing this game 3-4 times a day.
- Passes the time well, and is a great intellectual challenge
- Now that I’ve mastered easy, been trying on the harder levels
- 2 and 3 player games, 1-2 hour game sessions
- Tried the Chaos Magicians and the Auren for the first time
- Won one and lost one
- Always an awesome game, no matter how many players
- Can’t wait for the expansion to come out, which was announced today (it’s still in prototype stage)