My favorite video games and board games, alongside games that I want to try out.
Some epic gaming weeks were had with Russian Railroads and Gravwell. Highlights include going to Free RPG Day at Dice Age Games and getting a free Shadowrun campaign. We also enjoyed playing Russian Railroads with our gaming group.
- First time playing, 4 player, 3 hour game session
- Classic worker placement with a train theme
- Our friend got way ahead, beat us by 100 points, he had the right strategy from the start
- Played 2 player as well, which uses a different board. Games tend to be closer in points.
- Will play again, one of the best worker placements we own.
Power Grid: First Sparks
- First time playing, 3 player, 1 hour game session
- Light Euro game that I really enjoyed
- By the same designer from Friday, and had some of the same components which was awesome
- Definitely a great gateway game into the genre
- First time playing, 2 player, 30 min game session
- Demoed at our local game store, had heard great reviews about it
- Surprised us how good it was, for how short and light it is
- Put it on our wish list and will be getting it soon
Lewis and Clark
- Second time playing, 4 player, 2.5 hour game session
- Felt a bit easier this time as I tried to buy more cards
- Still very hard to plan and game is unforgiving
- Want to try solo variant soon
- Played many times over the course of these weeks, with 2, 3 and 4 players
- I don’t enjoy Splendor as much after playing it more, but possibly played it too many times in one week
- The components are still awesome, best part of the game
Marvel Dice Masters
- Longest Dice Masters game ever, took 1.5 hours
- We both picked very defensive heroes, so the game took much longer than it should have
- I love my new dice bags which I got from my local game store.
- Dice Masters isn’t our favorite game but it’s fun to break out and roll some dice!
- Been doing team play recently with our game group
- Teams even 2v2 is quite fun and adds to the replay value of the game
Combining the past two weeks since it’s been so long since I’ve written! Great gaming has been had in the past two weeks, and a big highlight was playing games at our local board game shop during our anniversary celebration weekend.
- First time playing, 2P, 30 min game time
- Demoed this at our local board game shop as we’d heard raving reviews about it
- Did not disappoint, we ordered our own copy that day, since the shop was sold out
- We’ve played a few more times since then, and my favorite thing has got to be the component tokens. So high quality
- I expect this game to be present at many board game nights to come.
Council of Verona
- First time playing, 4P, 10 min game time
- Introduced this to a game night with some new friends.
- Quick microgame that has more strategy that Love Letter, which makes it quite enjoyable
- Will play it again, especially as it’s so easy to travel with
Ghosts Love Candy
- First time playing, 6P, 30 min game time
- On Kickstarter right now, cute and fun game
- The ghosts aren’t quite the theme I usually enjoy, but as it was more cartoony, it was fun
- Don’t hesitate to pick it up on Kickstarter if you’re interested!
Lewis and Clark
- First Time playing, 2P, 2 hour game
- This game was much heavier that I realized, and so far has giving me a splitting headache every time I play it
- Highly strategic and very unforgiving
- Becoming more fun over time as I play, but still not nearly as enjoyable as Terra Mystica
- Will play it again, if only just to understand it more.
Sentinels of the Multiverse
- 2 Player Games, 1 hour games
- Played twice this week and lost both times!
- Still enjoy Sentinels, and hope to play more in the future.
- Wanting to pick up more expansions, but waiting until we’ve beaten all the villains.
Edge of Empire RPG
- Played for the first time in a couple months
- As usual, it was very fun, everyone really getting into the theme and campaign
- Hoping to pick of the Age of Rebellion core book when it comes out
- Will start Age of Rebellion in the fall, after one of our gaming group goes off to college.
- First time playing with 5 players, 2.5 hours game play
- Wow, five player is intense! People getting blocked left and right
- Definitely harder to plan ahead and some factions (Giants or Nomads) have a distinct advantage with that many players
- Will stick to 2-4 players next time, 5P was a little too much.
This week was filled with new gaming which is always a big highlight. Went to my local board game shop and purchased Council of Verona and The Builders. Also borrowed Firefly from a friend and bought LOTR Fellowship Deck Builder at Barnes and Noble on major clearance. My favorite gaming highlights was trying out Firefly for the first time and playing a great game of Battlestar Galactica.
Firefly: The Board Game
- First time playing, 3 player, 3 hour game session
- Amazing theme, interesting mechanics, just brushed the surface of this game
- Perfect for fans of Firefly that want a deep and immersive game
- Hoping to play more soon!
The Builders: Middle Ages
- First time playing, 2 players, 15 min game session
- A good and short filler or gateway game.
- Lots of calculation which can be good for teaching math
- Very little player interaction, more of a solitaire game
- Will play again, next time with 4 players
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Deck Building Game
- First time playing, 2 players, 30 min game session
- Great theme, cool deck builder
- Pretty random due to ambushes along the path
- Less complex than Dominion
- Will play again with 4 players
- 3rd time playing, 4 players, 3 hour game session
- Wasn’t a cylon for the first time, but my husband was!
- Lost to the cylons but still a very fun game.
- Best part is accusing people of being a cylon.
7 Wonders w/Cities & Leaders Expansions
- 4 players, 45 min game session
- Played with the Leaders expansion for the first time in awhile
- Awesome as usual, we love having our cards sleeved
- Will play again and look forward to the Babel expansion coming out this year.
- 2 players, 1 hour game session
- Did Auren vs Chaos Magician so the cult track was very competitive
- Very different game as we did not build anywhere near each other